2020 Vision: Anticipating the Future of Food in Washington State
- Friday, September 22, 2006
Do you have questions about genetically modified crops or USDA farm subsidies? Do you wonder why a large portion of Washingtons wheat crop is exported? Do you know the best ways to encourage healthy food production in Washington State? Are you concerned about the rising costs of food associated with the increased price of gasoline?
These are the topics we will be discussing.
At the conclusion of this conference (6 CPE units, Level 2), you will be able to:
· Understand the basics of international agricultural ethics and the impact of federal and corporate decisions on the future of our food.
· Discuss approaches to agriculture and natural resource stewardship in Washington State that are economically viable, environmentally sound, and socially responsive.
· Describe organizations that promote sustainable agriculture in Washington State and represent the interests and needs of farmers.
· Describe recent and possible actions taken in Washingtons state legislature that represent both the interests of farmers and the nutritional needs of the states population.
· Understand possible innovative changes in the upcoming 2007 Farm Bill that could support strong agricultural programs and access to healthy foods in Washington State.
Sponsored by PCC Natural Markets and Cascade Harvest Coalition.