Books and other resources
These resources are intended primarily for use by health care professionals.
General Pediatric Nutrition
Bright Futures: Nutrition, 3nd edition (2011). Holt K, Wooldridge, NH, Story, M, Sofka D, eds., National Center for Education in Maternal and Child Health.
- The nutrition guide emphasizes prevention and early recognition of nutrition concerns and provides developmentally-appropriate nutrition supervision guidelines for infancy through adolescence.
Bright Futures in Practice: Nutrition, 2nd edition (2002)
- The publication is out of print, but pdf files of the material can be downloaded.www.brightfutures.org/nutrition
- Additional Bright Futures materials are listed on the Bright Futures at Georgetown University website.www.brightfutures.org/georgetown
Handbook of Pediatric Nutrition, 4rd edition. (2012) Samour PQ and King K. Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- A clinical reference manual on pediatric nutrition for the health care provider
- Provides an overview of normal growth and nutrition needs for infants to adolescents
- Addresses therapeutic issues for a variety of chronic and acute conditions
Knowledge Path: Child and Adolescent Nutrition. National Center for Education in Maternal and Child Health (NCEMCH).
- A selection of current, high-quality resources and tools are compiled on this website.
- It is aimed at health professionals, program administrators, and researchers.
Pediatric Nutrition Handbook, 6th edition (2009). American Academy of Pediatrics.
- A reference on the nutritional requirements and effects of nutrition on the health of infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
Nutrition During Infancy, Principles and Practice. (1997) Tsang RC, ed. Digital Educational Publishing, Inc.
- Information about perinatal nutrition, including sections on breastfeeding, weaning and management of chronically ill children.
Pediatric Nutrition Support. (2007). Baker SS, Baker RD and Davis A. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Inc.
- This book provides coverage of the latest developments in enteral and parenteral feeding and evaluation.
ADA Pocket Guide to Pediatric Nutrition Assessment. (2008). Leonberg B. American Dietetic Association.
- This tool is a guide to nutrition assessment and nutrient requirements of infants and children, including screening, risk assessment, assessment of growth, health history and development, diet and feeding and the family environment
- Order through AND at https://www.eatright.org/shop/product.aspx?id=4965
Nutrition for children with special health care needs
Nutrition Interventions for Children with Special Health Care Needs, 3rd. edition (2010) WA DOH
- Resource for dietitians who provide service to children with special health care needs
- Includes information on determination of nutrition status, problem-based nutrition interventions, and condition-specific nutrition interventions
- Free CD of publication is available at http://here.doh.wa.gov/materials/nutrition-interventions/15_CSHCN-NI_E10L.pdf
Nutrition Focus for Children with Special Health Care Needs. University of Washington.
- Newletter published six times a year at subscription price of $45 (or $65 if joining associated listserv)
- Each issue focuses on a specific topic and includes practical strategies and resources
- Sharon Feucht, editor
- For additional information see: http://depts.washington.edu/nutrfoc/webapps/
Pocket Guide to Children with Special Health Care and Nutritional Needs. (2012) Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Information on growth, diet and nutrition, feeding and eating, non-oral enteral feeding, and community services and programs
- Includes case studies
- Order through AND at https://www.eatright.org/shop/product.aspx?id=6442467529
Pediatric Nutrition in Chronic Diseases and Developmental Disorders, 2nd edition. (2005) Oxford University Press
- Includes information on nutrition and growth and nutrition evaluation
- Overview of nutrition in developmental disorders, chronic disease, hereditary metabolic disorders